Here’s a list I prepared for a talk on weeds at a tree planting day by the river. These are all species I have observed along the river in Bacchus Marsh.
Bob Reid said he might see if he can make a list of native species from the river as long as this. It’s a very disturbed environment with a lot of invasive weeds!
Not all these are particularly problematic, many just colonising disturbed ground in the absence of natives. Bold indicates those that seem to be the main problem species.
There are undoubtedly more, especially grasses, rushes/sedges and aquatics which I am not confident to positively identify.
You can use the web links at the bottom of this post to look up colour photos of them and further information.
- African Boxthorn Lycium ferocissimum
- Artichoke Thistle Cynara cardunculus
- Blackberry Rubus fruticosus sp. agg.
- Blue periwinkle Vinca major
- Bridal Creeper Asparagus asparagoides
- Burr medic Medicago polymorpha
- Capeweed Arctotheca calendula
- Chilean Needlegrass Nasella neesiana
- Common thornapple Datura stramonium
- Common heliotrope Heliotropium europaeum
- Common sowthistle Sonchus oleraceus
- Cootamundra Wattle Acacia baileyana
- Cotoneaster Cotoneaster sp.
- Couch Grass Cynodon dactylon
- Desert Ash Fraxinus rotundifolia
- Fat Hen Chenopodium album
- Fennel Foeniculum vulgare
- Galenia Galenia pubescens
- Great Mullein Verbascum thapsus
- Hemlock Conium maculatum
- Horehound Marrubium vulgare
- Ivy Hedera helix
- Khaki Weed Alternanthera pungens
- Kikuyu Grass Pennisetum clandestinum
- Montpellier Broom Genista monspessulana
- Onion grass Romulea rosea
- Paspalum Paspalum dilatatum
- Paterson’s Curse Echium plantagineum
- Peppercorn Tree Schinus molle
- Phalaris Phalaris aquatica
- Prickly Pear Opuntia stricta
- Prickly Lettuce Lactuca serriola
- Serrated Tussock Nasella trichotoma
- Small-flowered Mallow Malva parviflora
- Soursob Oxalis pes-caprae
- Thistles (probably several species)
- Sticky Cape Gooseberry Physalis viscosa
- Stickyweed/Cleavers Galium aparine
- Sweet Briar Rosa rubiginosa
- Variegated thistle Silybum marianum
- White Clover Trifolium repens
- Wild Teasel Dipsacus fullonum
- Wild Oat Avena fatua
- Willow species uncertain
Weed resources online